Summer means grilling, or more like it, summer needs grilling. Yes it is already blistering hot and blazing up the old grill can feel like just a step away from melting from the suns rays but you just must. Maybe my taste buds just crave grilled vegetables and meat during the summer months like I crave for something warming during the winter ones. Even so, I think spending time with good friends, family and drinks outside near the BBQ is so stress free. It is not only delicious but during a great grilling BBQ you can really appreciate all you have, edible or not.
While I am too young to actually drink (…) I love the idea of making fake cocktails or even incorporating liquor into cooking. When I saw this recipe I just knew I had to make it. From Bon Appétit comes another recipe from Sara Dickerman for Skirt Steak with Bloody Mary Tomato Salad. Wait. How cool is that? It is delicious, but also quite spot on with all of the ingredients coming together to create one killer of an interpretation of one complex, famous drink but with meat! I changed it up a bit considering my fear of all things whole olives and raw onions, but what I give to you is just a slightly adapted version. You’ll enjoy the spices of the meet and the salad, but you’ll enjoy it even more with a group of people you love.
Skirt Steak with Bloody Mary Tomato Salad
[adapted only slightly because I loved the recipe idea from Sara Dickerman Bon Appetit]
For the steak:
- 2 11/2 pound skirt steaks
- 2 teaspoons (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
For the salad:
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 1 package of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped celery hearts, the inner stalks and leaves from one bunch
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the steaks in a gallon sized plastic bag. Add the sugar, paprika, cayenne, pepper and salt and seal the bag. Shake the bag to coat the steaks and refrigerate for one to three hours to marinate.
2. Prepare the salad by mixing the onion with one of the tablespoons of vinegar. Keep raw or better yet sauté at medium heat for about ten minutes. Add the onion to the tomatoes and celery.
3. Whisk together the remaining two tablespoons of vinegar, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and the celery seeds. Slowly whisk in the oil. Add to the bowl with the tomato mixture tossing to coat. Season the salad with salt and pepper.
4. Let the steaks stand at room temperature for one hour before grilling. Heat your grill (if you have a gas grill to high, if charcoal build a medium-hot fire) and brush the grate with oil. Grill for about 5-7 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for ten minutes then cut against the grain crosswise into ¼ inch think slices. Serve with the salad and devour.