The other week our fridge was overrun by blueberries. Somehow we had four containers of those tart and sweet suckers and they needed to be eaten fast! The only solution seemed to be Smitten Kitchen’s recipe for Blueberry Crumb Bars. Everything was perfect, we even had lemons until I realized we only had a stick and a half of butter. While I am not one to improvise on a sweet recipe I was desperate so I adjusted the quantities only slightly. Less topping, but more blueberry and I really liked it that way. Enjoy.
Blueberry Crumb Bars
[Only slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen]
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- One lemon, zest and juice
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine 3/4 cup white sugar, flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter blend the butter and egg into the mixture. Dough should be crumbly. Pat half of the dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer. Do not worry if it is not completely covered, it won’t be.
- Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes until the top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.