Having a total twilight moment watching the first episode (ever) of Friends. Didn’t take the show long to get into its groove and become the show we all love and miss. How I see it, if I am going to watch TV, it better be for a reason. And I think experiencing television history is as good as any.
While “Friends time” usually means time for ice cream, what about something brighter and healthier? Below is a recipe for a beet and orange salad including goat cheese and beet greens! I never knew how delicious the greens were until I decided not to throw them away. They add color and vitamins as well as bulk up a beet salad. I used organic beets that came with my CSA shipment, but you can use anything that is available in season at your local supermarket. As always, enjoy.
Orange and Beet Salad
[Adapted from Epicurious]
- 1 bunch beets with beet greens attached
- 1 large orange
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Goat cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Trim greens from the beets. Cut off and discard stems. Coarsely chop leaves and reserve. Wrap each beet in foil. Place beets in a small oven safe dish and roast for an hour and a half until fork easily punctures through the beet. Let cool and then cut into eight wedges. Set aside.
- Blanche beet greens in a large saucepan of boiling water about two minutes. Drain and let cool. Squeeze excess water from the greens. Combine greens with the beets.
- Grate orange to remove 1/2 teaspoon worth of orange peel. Peel the orange, removing pith. Using a knife, cut the segments from the membrane. Add the orange to the beets. Toss with vinegar, olive oil, garlic, orange peel, and season with salt and pepper.
- Before serving crumble goat cheese on top of the salad.